Last month’s Brit Awards 2015 live stream to viewers on YouTube proves that live streaming shows fresh potential for the very same music industry that got a bit stuck in the subscription model. It’s an obvious sign that the biggest players in the music world – who are always searching for faster ways to gather bigger revenues – are finally ready to embrace live streaming.
The music industry has been changing with near-lightning speed. Within just a few short years, we’ve been watching the format consumption shift from physical CDs to digital. Nowadays, it’s all about access – and not ownership – and the current music industry mix consists mainly of streaming and subscription services. Companies such as Spotify, Rdio, Amazon Music and Beats are the key players to capitalize on this trend, while more and more consumers are opting for on-demand audio streams instead of downloads and CDs.
Martial arts organizations all around the world could take a leaf of ONE Championship™, that is ambitiously progressing into digital space. Asia’s largest Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) organisation is embracing LIVE sports pay-per-view to further introduce best Asian fighters to the rest of the world. MMA fans can count on a seamless, extremely exciting TV-like viewing experience online during the upcoming championships.
Thanks to a Brightcove’s integration with Cleeng ONE Championship™ leverages the pay-per-view potential to delight their audiences on a global level. I sat down with Jason Lim, Director of Online Media & Publications at ONE Championship™ for a short interview to ask about their successes and a fast progress into the OTT space.
The hot news about the launch by NBC of a comedy on-demand channel doesn’t actually come as a surprise. With HBO and CBS at the forefront of the digital distribution of premium videos, it appears that NBC is approaching the OTT market slightly differently: genre-focused.
After releasing Radius, a fitness–focused subscription service, NBC are now heading at full speed into comedy. They’ve been testing other types of programming as well, such as horror, religion and family. According to The Wall Street Journal, the broadcaster will monetize online two of its shows (and at the same time, their two biggest assets): Saturday Night Live and The Tonight Show.
NBC’s subscription will be fueled by original shows produced for the service, featuring stars like Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon.
Exactly why does the NBC SVOD service promise to be successful? We believe that it’s for 3 main reasons:
- Precise target: They address the cord–cutting millennials, or, as Ooyala calls them – ‘Cord Nevers’, or, in other words, those who shift towards viewing content via digital streaming and who are never going to sign up for pay TV packages. Furthermore, next to sports, comedy is the top genre watched regularly by Millennials (74% vs. 70% for Gen Xers, and 68% for Boomers). Millennials are most likely to enjoy comedy shows through streamed sources. The need is there – ready to be monetized – and it’s obvious that NBC haven’t been sitting idly on their hands and watching.
- Affordable: NBC will charge $2.50 to $3.50 per month for the service, while offering great support for yet another form of consuming behavior: binge watching.
- Exclusivity: Original programming promises unique content – much more than simple snippets of an already-shown TV show to be found on Youtube.
Hopefully, NBC will make their bold release with lightning speed so they can quickly build and maintain their own momentum within the thickening competition in the OTT market. They will need a good, frictionless solution, to easily sell to everyone and everywhere. At those price points, KISS principle would make the most sense.
How to seize this low hanging fruit? Meet us at SPORTEL America convention, 17-19 March 2015 to find out more about the easiest way of harnessing the potential of your online audiences.
Following up on our successful pitch during the Sportel Monaco last year and the recent opening of our US office, we’re coming to the Sportel America for the first time. We want to share with you OTT success stories of our biggest clients: among them many sport organizations such as: FIFA, Sportsmax, ONE FC, WFTDA, British Basketball League and SpeedSport TV.
Together with our long-time partner Brightcove, the pioneering force in the world of online video, we’ll get your hands on the most innovative cloud-based solutions for delivering and monetizing premium video experiences for both live, and on-demand videos.
Wondering how to combine high-quality streaming video with sophisticated monetization options and still maintain a winning user experience? Brightcove and Cleeng have heard this question and have teamed up at Sportel America to provide some answers to:
- Selling Pay-Per-View Live games, On-Demand replays or subscription-based Season Passes;
- Delivering fast pre-booking, 1-click purchase and a seamless viewing experiences across any device;
- Setting up a Netflix-like subscription channel to get the most out of your digital assets;
- Protecting your broadcasts from online piracy threats, using the revolutionary Cleeng Tattoo watermarking technology;
- Expansion beyond US to new territories with 150 payment methods;
- & more!
Schedule a demo now!
As a sports, entertainment or religious broadcaster, you’ve been using the power of video – both live and on-demand – to catch up with the consuming behavior of your audiences. Riding on the wave of the cord cutting craze, and on the boom of Netflix-like video subscription channels, you’ve been trying hard to outsmart your competition by tuning millennials into your offers. But there’s one question that you still don’t have a good answer for: How can I scale my video business to grow faster?
The answer is pretty easy: become more flexible by combining the different online video business models available (pay-per-view, rental, bundle and subscription) to adapt better to your customers’ needs. To help our amazing clients (British Basketball League, Fifa, or Nordic Business Forum) who were asking the same question, we’ve just launched a straightforward solution – an option for associating offers to nurture faster growth. What’s more, you don’t need to be a tech geek to use this, since we’ve secured an easy and friendly user experience to the process.
With a simple click, the new functionality allows you to associate your video on-demand with live streaming and membership to help you make the most out of your videos. All of this is found on one platform, to help keep you focused and effective while scaling up your ecommerce business.
Let me give you three real-life examples for applying our new video association feature:
1. Set up an event replay as one or multiple videos: Your live pay-per-view conference or sports game that you created with us has just ended, but you still want to keep your audience tuned in to it for a while. You can achieve this by using Video on-demand recordings from the conference or game.
A few months ago we announced the opening of our US – New York office. Today, great news for our publishers selling in the U.S.: all transactions are now processed through our newly established U.S. payment gateway.
Among many amazing pay-per-view events we’ve been powering in the past few months, many big-scale shows were created with U.S. audience in mind. Thus, it was crucial for us to make sure those event organizers can transact and be paid out directly through a bank operating in the States.
Processing payment in the U.S. brings multiple benefits to our partners and clients:
- Faster approval of credit card transactions,
- Lower credit card refusal rate, and thus higher conversion rate at first credit card entry attempt,
- Lower refunds and chargeback,
- No further risk of fees charged by specific local / regional U.S. banks.
This will bring higher satisfaction from the buyers, and even better conversion rates for our U.S. based publishers. We’re looking forward to create closer relationships with our U.S. clients, and further support their growth into the OTT space.